Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church is situated at the top of Macedonia Hill in South Point, Ohio. The Church was founded in 1810; thereby, making it one of the oldest institutions in America. One thing that changed in 1849 was that a new building was built replacing the old structure which was used primarily to assist fleeing slaves. The 1810 Church is considered our Mother Church. The clandestine nature of its location could only be reached on foot or on horseback until the advent of automobiles in the mid-1900s.
It is important to note that the church was a stop-off point of the Underground Railroad, a network of secret routes and safe houses used by 19th-century enslaved people of African descent in the US in efforts to escape to free states and Canada with the aid of abolitionists and allies who were sympathetic to their cause.